Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Reality Check

I like all kinds of music. The channels programmed on my car radio range from country, to classic rock, to classical, to contemporary pop, to "oldies." I regularly switch between channels as I drive, loosing track of what station I'm listening to, but it's usually pretty clear that Pink Floyd plays on "The Hawk", Plain White T's are on "The Mix" and Trace Atkins stays on "KYGO." Fine. Good.

Then last week I was flipping between the stations. John Cougar Melancamp was singing a little diddy about Jack and Diane, and I stopped my channel surfing to listen. I was reminiscing about watching the video on MTV and singing along in the car with my girlfriends. Fine. Good. Until the station I was listening to identified themselves as "KOOL 105." That would be the OLDIES station.

What?!? NOT fine. NOT good! Since when did the music from the 80s constitute "oldies"? I don't think so!!!

Then I started to do some quick math. Whatdayaknow... Jack and Diane was a hit in 1982. That would be, WHAT! Twenty-six years ago?!?

"Here's a little diddy
about Ganelle who was so bold
She's in her thirites
and forgets that she's old..."

10 comments:

Martha said...

Ah, but as long as you continue to hang with us truly old farts....you'll always be the "kid" in our crowd!

Anonymous said...

I like the new name of your blog. I can relate. I had lucky charms for breakfast, a snickers for lunch and animal crackers for a snack. Hopefully dinner with be healthy!

FOX said...

HI HI HI HI!!!!!!!

So I went from Jen Richards to Rachel Caporale's blog to your blog!!!!!

HI!!!!!!!

You guy got a new house? YAY!!!! Looks so awesome!!!!

Anyway, as far as the radio station thing. Brandon still talks about when he was driving home from work and you cam on the radio. He said he could totally tell your voice.

Well we miss CO, and you being my VT

--Christina Call

FOX said...

OK! So I should have proof read!! Duh! for me! I really can spell!!!!

Vern said...

Ha! I like your version better - I hate that song. btw, I'm not trying to be annoying, but there's an extra 's' in the title of your blog that I don't think you meant to put there at the end of chip...? Love the new template!

Vern said...

martha: don't be deceived. I'd love to think ganelle is your friend because of your engaging personality, but I'd be suspicious of her ulterior motives!

Randi said...

Ha ha! I remember that same reality check. I was singing along with a commercial on TV, thinking "MAN they're advertising some great songs. I wonder what album this is, cause I might buy it!" Yes. It was an "oldies" album.
Oh, well.

I love your blog name and tagline!

tz said...

awesome new title and tagline!
I'm about to leave my 30's this year...yikes...and I am so amazed that the 80's are oldies! and I'm going to be an oldie, ...it's insane....

Brittany said...

Yet, it is true...we are getting older, but I guess that is okay we love the 80's music in our home still...I am sure one day the girls will tell us how gross that is, but until then bring it on!

Anonymous said...

To confirm the 80's thing. I just heard that teenagers, when they want to say something is old, say "That's so 80's!"

Sorry, the 80's still seem like just yesterday to me, but that's because I remember the 60's!

Sandra