Wednesday, July 23, 2008

If All Your Friends Jumped Off a Bridge...

As I mentioned in my last post, we were able to go canoeing while in Utah. Uncle Craig and I took out Big Boy #1 and his cousin Jake - who is just a couple years older. While we were out, the boys noticed a group of teenage boys jumping from this bridge.

I asked "Wanna do it?"
They both were totally on board with the idea - until they were actually standing on the bridge.

At that point Uncle Tyler joined the boys on the bridge and jumped. That seemed enough to convince Jake. And once Jake did it, of course BB1 had to follow suit. (OK, this is were I have to insert that they were wearing life-jackets. And Uncle Tyler was treading water close by. And, well, those teenagers seemed to be fine.)

Then Big Boy #2 came over. He's barely seven years old and was too little to even scramble up to the jumping off spot. However, those afore mentioned teenage boys were more than willing to lift him up to the top of the bridge. (Who says teenage boys aren't helpful?) Without a moments hesitation, BB#2 was jumping off the bridge. He belly-flopped and came up screaming.

That's when the police drove up.

Apparently there is a $100 fine for bridge jumping in Utah.

Luckily, the cop let us off with a warning. I'm just glad he didn't haul BB2 off into Children's Protective Services. I mean really, what kind of mother lets her seven year old boy jump of a bridge?!?

Would this help to explain things?












Me bungee-jumping (age 19)Diamond cliff-jumping (age 19)

We just thought we had another 10-12 years for that gene to kick in!

This is NOT a good sign for the future...

9 comments:

Mom of Three said...

I guess craziness runs in the family! Scum jummpin' away! Thanks for the help yesterday. You helped me make it through.

Martha said...

But with a bridge as pretty as that, with such cool water just sitting underneath...well, it is just begging to be jumped off of, right?

what's more surprising is that you weren't joining in on the jumping.

Oh wait...you are the mom now...you've got to stand and take the pictures! :)

ganelle said...

I SOOO would've jumped too, but I wasn't wearing a suit.

That, and the dead duck we saw floating in the water nearby...

FOX said...

That is the BEST story! I am so glad you have it documented in your family history!!!

With that, my kids can't play with your kids anymore... um! JUST KIDDING!!

Brandon would have been ALL OVER jumping with you, and throwing our little kids over!!! (in life vests of course!!)

PS- Don't ever worry about Child Protective Services, cuz... well... they will just bring your kids to my house! LOL!

Vern said...

Let me know when your parenting book comes out. I want a signed copy.

allison said...

funny story. my boys would have been right there with them!

tz said...

Oh my gosh...my boys so would have been scrambling to jump and hubby would have egged them on! I should post hubby sky diving..he grew up around quarries and did a lot of jumping off ropes, cliffs etc into water...

Brittany said...

For sure I am not letting you take my kids anywhere if there could be a bridge, I have to say, I wouldn't have done it, chicken maybe, $100 richer, for sure!

Anonymous said...

Great work.