Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I Don't Want to Grow Up!

Big Boy #1 and I were reading Harry Potter together before bed when he asked me if he would be able to come home for Christmas once he was in college. Although I said "Of course!" he started to cry. For those of you who have managed to avoid the world of wands and wizards, Harry never goes home over Christmas holiday. (With Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon there, why would he want to?)

Apparently the mere thought that you don't, by definition, get home for Christmas was enough to terrify my poor nine year old son.

BB1 started enumerating all the problems of going away to college. Top on his list was the idea that we wouldn't see each other every day. I tried to explain that there would come a time when that wouldn't seem quite so awful to him. He couldn't imagine it.

"I don't want to grow up!"

Hmm. As much as I hate to see my child so upset, I have to admit that I am dreading the day when he will leave. What's worse is that I'm pretty sure it will be harder for me than him. I have to say that I love that BB1 can't stand the idea of being without me.

So bud, in response to your statement, I'm not so convinced I want you to grow up either.

6 comments:

Mom of Three said...

It is a tough process to watch them grow up. I think that is why you have teenagers first before they go away. Not that I don't love my almost teen, but I can tell you that there is a plan in place.

Brittany said...

That is too cute, the joy of having boys is that Mom is always number 1!

Randi said...

It happens way too fast, that's for sure.
What a cutie!

tz said...

we just had a 9 year old birthday in our house and I'm so with you sistah...no more growing up!

Dodi said...

Please keep this forever - and make sure you look at it when he is 16 years old and you just wish it was time for him to go away to college!

I know what you mean, though. I find myself wishing there was a "pause" button on childhood. Some stages would be cool to stay in for a while.

FOX said...

That is so sweet for him to say! I don't want my kids to grow up either. Jake is 13 and he is just starting to like girls.

It is totally freaking me out.