Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day

I've decided that men fear Mother's Day.

The proof is everywhere. When you can buy flowers at Home Depot, something has to be up. It's like all the men got together to say "Psst! Buddy! Tomorrow's Mother's Day. You know to buy these flowers, right? 'Cuz if you don't.... Well, you just don't even want to know what will happen then!"

On my first Mother's Day no less than five different men pulled Diamond aside and told him; "You know that this the one day of the year you can NOT forget without paying severely!" Forget chocolates on Valentine's Day? She'll be hurt, but it's livable. Spend your anniversary at a Nuggets game? (cough, cough) She might not mind. But Mother's Day? You CANNOT FORGET Mother's Day.

As a Mother's Day gift for the women in my ward, we decided to put together envelopes full of 3x5 cards for each woman. The cards would be from each woman's husband and children, acknowledging something "small and simple" that the mom/wife does that is really appreciated. I asked a friend of mine to hand out the cards during the announcement portion of the men's meeting. At first the response was lack-luster. Then my friend said "You don't want your wife to be the only women who doesn't have a card from her husband!" Next thing you know, the men were anxiously scribbling down all the wonderful things their wives do.

Fear I tell you. It's all about fear.

7 comments:

Dodi said...

Hey, I thought Catholics had the corner on guilt!! Guess LDS are catching up!

Happy Mother's Day!!!!!!!

Mom of Three said...

I guess we really are the stonger sex, huh?!

Sitting In Silence said...

Ha Ha....great post and so true !

FOX said...

OK! The church thing was REALLY funny! So I funny I have told a few friends. You are brilliant!!!

I am glad Diamond has so many cues to never forget Mother's Day!

Lorie said...

MY THEORY: The fear of what they they WON'T be getting if they don't come through on Mother's Day! Cute idea with the 3 x 5 cards.

Vern said...

So, how did yesterday go?

Martha said...

On more than one occasion, Hubby has freely admitted he fears me...as he should...

Hope your Mother's Day was lovely...