Saturday, August 29, 2009

Side Yard Success

2 Swings + 8 Tons of Sand + 30' Retaining Wall + 1 Helpful Grandpa =



Grandpa Green built the boys these huge 14' swings. They love how high they can get on such a big set. They have created a game they call "Wo-Hoo" where someone pitches a big, bouncy ball to the person swinging, who kicks it. The pitcher then must catch the ball to get them "out". Leave it to my boys to find a way to incorporate a ball into something like swinging!



8 tons of sand really does feel a bit like the beach. We dug out one area a bit deeper than the rest so that boys can really dig! We thought the sand might be mostly for the Caboose, but all of the boys are digging away.


We just finished the area last night - and within an hour had 7 neighbor kids over playing. I love that we have something that draws in the neighborhood.


We really weren't sure what to do with the side yard, but I think we come up with something great. And while I'll probably be cursing the mess of all that sand before the week's over, right now I couldn't be more pleased.

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

That looks like so much fun!!! My kids would go crazy back there.

Vern said...

Excellent!

Mrs. Kravitz said...

Although the mess from the sand keeps me cursing all summer long, the sand box is a favorite of all the kids who come to our house -- regardless of their age! I'm glad you found a fun solution and that everyone's enjoying it so much. Those swings are totally awesome, by the way.

Julie Ramsay said...

Can I come and play? That looks sooooooo awesome!

Mom of Three said...

That looks awesome! OK, now I'm really wanting the swings. I don't know if the sand will mix well with the coyote attacks we have in our backyard though...

Jenni said...

That looks like so much fun!! Nice job!

FOX said...

OK... how do you pronounce Wo-hoo? Cuz' we have some made up words to describe certain body parts and that is just lookin' a little too close for my kids to be playing with your kids!!!!

Actually we teach our kids anatomically correct names because we believe that to be right, but I am not sure I can let Brandon play at your house anymore!!!!! lol OR ME.... hahahahah!!!!

Jennifer said...

Very cool!

Make sure you rake it once in awhile to find the buried "treasure" the neighborhood cats will leave.

Garity said...

It turned out great! Yea, the cat thing is true (as we found out the hard way thanks to neighbor cats) but raking helps. I can only imagine the work that went into this. That swing is amazing!