Saturday, August 8, 2009

Bus Business

School started Friday morning at the crack of 9:00. Our school has moved back their start time to minimize busing costs. There are several downsides to this. First, the boys won't be home until after 4:00 in the afternoon. Fitting in homework, scouts, practice, tutoring, and dinner, yet alone even a smidgen of playtime will be tricky.

But the worst part is that the district MOVED OUR BUS STOP! It used to be RIGHT in front of our house. I didn't so much as brush my teeth before waving goodbye from the front door.


So here's the question: How close does the bus stop need to be to safety send the boys there on their own?

The facts:
-I am paranoid when it comes to my kids.
-The bus stop is .25 miles away.
-I can watch them (from the house) for the first half of the walk.
-They are entering 5th and 3rd grades. (And yes, when I was in 5th grade I would ride my bike all the way up to Julie's house - a good mile plus away. But that was THEN.)
-I'm paranoid when it comes to my kids.

Am I crazy to be worried???

Meanwhile, the Caboose had a hard time seeing his brothers head back to school this year. He will be starting preschool in just a couple weeks and CAN NOT WAIT! Of course he had to wear his Spiderman backpack to the bus stop, I expected that. But the poor kid cried the whole way home "I wanna go preschool!" Soon grasshopper, soon.

5 comments:

redlegsrides said...

As for letting them venture on their own, you'll know when you are ready...the worries and anxiety starts to slip away. doesn't sound like you are there quite yet...

Soon, Grasshopper, soon! :)

Martha said...

um, Charlie6 would be me, Martha...Hubby had been using this computer and D"OH, I didn't even bother to look.

Didn't want you to think your blog had attracted some weird freak trolling for kids ready to walk to the bus stop by themselves.

Krista and Jeff said...

I still watch my two in junior high walk a block and a half to the bus...watch until the bus lights go off and head to school...it's a mom thing!

Mom of Three said...

As paranoid as I am, as long as they are together, I think they will be fine. I used to watch LM till the I couldn't see him anymore, then I would say a little prayer. It did help that there were about three other kids going with him, and I knew the person who lives across from the stop.

Garity said...

Argh, I'm with you on the paranoid thing but I'd let my boys go alone as long as they stayed together. My biggest fear not being able to see my boys would be the stupid things they'd do while at the bus stop like beating each other up.