Monday, June 29, 2009

Ideas?

This is our side yard:


It's about 30' x 14' . Not big, but also larger than most side yards in the area.
We are trying to figure out what to do with it. Here's where we are so far:

-Rock it? PROBLEM! We have such a small backyard that I really want to make the most of every bit of yard we do have.

-Trampoline? PROBLEM! I'm too worried that someone will get hurt. Plus, I don't want to have a toy that needs a tons of supervision. That would ruin the whole point of a yard!

-Fort/Play structure? PROBLEM! We took the boys to a play structure sales center, and they were done playing on the forts within about 15 mins. I'm not about to spend that kind of cash on something they got bored with at the store!

-Garden? PROBLEM! We really want the space for the boys to play. Plus, my dad has such a yummy garden, it's almost not worth doing one ourselves.

-Giant Sandbox? PROBLEM! I'm not so convinced that the big boys would play in it, plus I'm worried about the mess of it all.

-Grass? PROBLEM! We already have a good stretch of grass in the back. I don't think more grass buys us anything new.

-Big Boulders/ Rock Garden? PROBLEM! Would they play on the rocks? Commune with nature? Or would it become purely decorative? (Not such a bad thing, but not really what we are going for either.

Help! Am I missing something? Is there an answer just beyond my reach? Am I not properly evaluating the ideas we have come up with? Please, I need help!

9 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

Hi Ganelle, As a boy mom I think you are right on with your analysis...but as your boys are older I think you should get the trampoline with the surrounding net then there wouldn't be (as many) accidents. Definitely think the big ones are too old to use a sandbox much...go for the tramp or the fort. that's my opinion...

Maranda said...

Um, I know you said no grass, but I was thinking maybe grass and some soccer goals. That looks like a nice long area to kick a ball back and forth. Are your boys in to sports? Maybe a basketball hoop, or smaller volleyball net?

Vern said...

Maranda: HA HA HA HA HA! "Are your boys into sports?" HA HA HA! That's like asking Dolly Parton, "Are those fake?"

Martha said...

I'd add to the trampoline worry by noting that your homeowners policy may not like that idea and in fact might have restrictions about whether they will continue to cover you should you add such an item.

How 'bout a DOG run...three boys need some puppy love and I noticed your calendar...seems like you could squeeze puppy training in there sometime.

Ducking and running for cover...xoxo

Cheryl said...

How about a fire pit???? There's nothing like a good s'more. You could make it into an oasis with a hammock, fire pit, tiki torches etc. How about a hot tub???

YouHaveHowMany? said...

You know after reading everyone else's comments, I would have to agree with the basketball court. My boys would love that! Or the trampoline. We've had ours for over a year and never had any major injuries! :) We keep it up year round. It's the BEST boy energy burnoff! You could dig a pit and put it in the ground so that it's level. Did you ever see Pres. Lindahls? Pretty cool! :) Good luck!

Garity said...

Tramp or fort over an organic mulch type groundcover so you can easily change it later (organic so it breaks down and feeds the soil for easy planting later if you choose that route)

Dodi said...

OK, grass (wait... stay with me) down the middle, and mulched flower gardens going down each side. Perhaps a bench at the end. Very pretty, serene, but playable.

I was on the side of "basketball court" until I took another look and saw the fence... and imagined the b-ball going over that several times a day.

the5firds said...

I am with Martha - DOG RUN all the way. We had an existing one in our last house and LOVED IT! Summer is a great time to get a dog. Lucky is a super name for a dog.