Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lessons from my Mother-in-Law

We had the great pleasure of having Diamond's parents in town over the weekend. As the mother of three boys, I have taken mental notes of how to be a mother-in-law from Diamond's mom. Here's what I've learned so far:

Learn how to play the "Brush Your Teeth" song on the piano. It's always a crowd pleaser.



Buy them ice-cream, Sonic slushies and pizza. (Grandpa sure helped out on this one!)


Happily walk to the grandkids school and "oh" and "ah" over how cool their classrooms are.

And have a great relationship with your daughter-in-law. It seems that every time we see Diamond's parents, Ann takes the time to pull me aside and tell me that she thinks I am doing a great job raising our boys. (And she does that with a straight face!) Her sincere compliments always mean so much to me. She is supportive and loving to me as a person, as a mother, and as her daughter-in-law.

I sometimes worry that my future daughter-in-laws will find me thoroughly aggravating. However, if I can manage to follow Ann's example, I think I might actually do alright.

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

Maybe I'm a little biased but I do have to say that you have FABULOUS in-laws....especially that one sister of David's...what's her name again????? Just kidding, but with the fabulous Smith family comes three great sister-in-laws...especially that one from New York!!

tz said...

oh I'm going follow her example too..I so hope my daughter in law's like me...

Dodi said...

You know, getting the right mother-in-law is almost as crucial as getting the right husband! Your MIL sounds so smart to recognize how fabulous you are.

Anonymous said...

Not that you won't be a great grandma someday, but I swear if I ever see video of you playing the piano for your grandkids I will know that I've officially been admitted the the "happy place" for hallucinations.

Lorie said...

Right now I have Drew dancing to the song... that's awesome! I say whatever works to help lower those dental bills (and ours is high!). Maybe you can send her our way as a "motivational player?!". FUNNY!

talitha said...

I see that your boys are shy and introverted like their Momma.

Way to go, Mom-in-law!

Aimee said...

Can I borrow her sometime? I will try to follow her example too, I'm not too impressed with the one I have.

Mom of Three said...

I love that song! My kids still remember it and dance to it too. Now we have Ann on the computer to visit whenever we are in need of a quick pick me up!

FOX said...

I am totally going to be an aggravating MIL. I just haven't decided if it is going to be on purpose or not.

Way to go Ganelles' MIL!

Sitting In Silence said...

Great post...Sounds like you have a great MIL.....
x

Anonymous said...

That video is so great.