Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My Favorite Things

My boys all get the craziest curly hair when they are about two years old.

Big Boy #1's curls lasted until he was about 2 1/2. He had his first "real" haircut, and they never came back. I cried all afternoon.


Big Boy #2's curls lasted much longer. I had learned my lesson and carefully avoided any type of short haircut. To this day he wears his hair a bit more "shaggy" (hey it's the style now!) That bought me several more years of curls.

His curls lasted until he was almost five. As his hair began to straighten, I took up hope that #3 would have that same hair. When the Caboose came around, we were just waiting for the Smith curls to kick in. And sure enough...


Through the years, many people have commented that those curls had been wasted on a boy. My friend Vern agreed, and decided to see how cute those curls would be on a girl. I left my darling BB2 at her house for a couple hours, and come back to this...

DANG CUTE! (Although, one of the downsides to those blond locks is that people seem to assume hair like that MUST belong to a little girl. The boys were always getting confused for girls - regardless of what they were wearing. Maybe it has something to do with the length of their hair as well?)

I LOVE their curls. I love those locks in the way I love chocolate chip cookies on a cold wintery day; completely and without apology. It seems that everywhere we go strangers will approach me, touching the boys' hair, asking where such amazing hair comes from. (It's on both sides. Diamond had curls as a toddler, and half of my family - although not me- have very curly hair.)

There are a ton of things I love about being a mom. But their curls? Well, they are one of favorite things.

10 comments:

FOX said...

OK I hate hate when strangers would touch my babies!!! and knowing you, you have to be kind of miffed by that also!!!

I love the locks!!! Yes you would make a cute little girl, but I love you boys hair too!!!!! It is a good boy hairdo!! Girls complain about curly hair anyway!!!

I would totally never cute their hair either. I cried when I cute Caleb's the first time, because it was never as blond ever again!!

Don't tell anyone! but I even used sun-in once to lighten it when he was two!!! To make me feel better! OK I did it many times!!!!

FOX said...

ok yes I am educated and know that cut is a verb and cute is an adjective and now I have learned I need to proof read!!! Sorry!

Vern said...

Oh my gosh, I haven't seen that picture FOREVER! It is giving me a much needed laugh right now. I crack myself up.

Dodi said...

Love the curls on your boys, it is dear...

BUT? He is going to KILL you for that picture someday.

Mom of Three said...

Two things...one, remember the picture of Diamond as a baby (I recall a little pink dress)? and two, why didn't any of mine get my curls?!?!

ganelle said...

fox: Sun-in? Maybe I need to reconsider giving the boys perms...

Vern: I'll just send you the bill for therapy!

Dodi: I refer you to my response to Vern

Mom of 3: Go figure? You're the one with curly hair, and I'm the one with curly kids. Ha ha! I win!

Cheryl said...

WHY DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF ANNIE?

tz said...

Jake had the most fabulous curls as a toddler...the last hair cut that cut those curls out just made me cry too....and i keep both his and isaac's hair shaggy too just to get a bit of that curl at the ends...


and how can anyone mistake him for a girl...he looks like a boy even in the girl outfit...

I'm thinking that's a picture to show potential girlfriends....

Garity said...

This is one of my favorite posts! I love how similar they all look...must make labeling pictures a nightmare...wait, I forgot who I was talking to oh Queen of Scrapbooking, of course you have all of the pictures labeled and dated!

Unknown said...

I think the curls are gorgeous! All three of them look like little cherubs with those round cheeks and golden curls! :)