Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Vindicated!

Back in March, Big Boy #1 participated in the Pine Wood Derby. It wasn't pretty. A computer glitch forced his car to heat with the same four cars each time. Our car came in last each time and finished poorly overall. BB1 cried the whole way home. It was downright painful!

When our Scout leader announced we would be doing a Raingutter Regatta, (the Pine Wood Derby of boats) I was less than thrilled - yet also totally committed to making sure that my kid wouldn't leave the race crying. Consider it emotional blackmail.

My mom researched online how to make a speedy boat. My dad created the catamaran out of the standard boat kit, and Diamond made a sail from a plastic cup. We just wanted to make a decent showing.

BB1's boat started out strong. Before long the other kids were chanting his name while he raced. He said "I like having fans!" (Good to know he's staying humble.) He made it to the Final Race!!! And then...

for the championship...



VINDICATION!!!

10 comments:

Vern said...

FINALLY some positive propaganda for having a girl. Congrats BB1!

Mom of Three said...

Way to go! Glad that I don't have to do that this year!!!

FOX said...

VICTORY!!!

He totally deserved it!!!! So did you, by the way, as far as getting to see your child smile from having a good scouting activity.

Martha said...

VICTORY is mine mumbles the proud momma!

Seriously, congrats to the proud scout and good job for the entire clan for coming together and working on creating the best boat 'evah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dodi said...

Oh to have seen your face at that moment!

Congrats to you both... Vindication feels good, right?

Darci said...

Man I remember when he was just a tot with curly hair. Way to go!!!!

tz said...

woo hoo!

Lorie said...

Scouting... can there BE anything more painful?!!

Danae said...

I love it! What I love the most however was your cheering him on. I am sure, had it been recorded, that the same cheers were heard from me last year at our Stake Olympics. The year before Ethan didn't win his ages race and was devastated. Knowing that couldn't happen again we practiced and during the final race all the people surrounding me were enjoying the same cheers of encouragement. They were of course for him, but also for me as I don't think I could have handled the disappointment again.

Brittany said...

That is awsome, I can't wait for our Raingutter Regatta it look like a lot of fun.