Friday, June 20, 2008

School's Out

Today was the last day of school and Big Boy #2's teacher sent out a picture of his class. BUT WAIT! Who is that kid who seems to ooze attitude?
















Take a closer look. Yup! That would be MY kid! Here's how his first grade teacher described him on his report card:

"Exuberant is a great word for him! No matter what the topic or exercise is - he is exuberant about 'it'. "

This picture sure seems to prove her point.

BB#2 really had a great year. He found some fabulous friends, showed tremendous growth academically, and LOVED school. Absolute success!




However, this year was not as kind to BB#1. He did make some good friends, but had little academic growth (almost a wasted year - grrrr!) Third grade was hard. I'm not sure if it was the move, or the teacher, or the combination, but I'm just glad it's over! On a more positive note, he did FINALLY earned the "Principal's Excellence Award." At least he was able to end feeling good about that.

9 comments:

Martha said...

We're coming off the high of a good year for both boys...and yet I know so well the heartache we feel as moms when the year doesn't go so well. Hopefully #1 son will have great years from here on out...

ganelle said...

martha: I sure hope so. It has been SOOO frustrating! Next year he has a very young teacher (her second year teaching) but I've heard good things.

I just want him to like school again. :(

FOX said...

THAT IS AN AWESOME PICTURE!!!

I love the 'tude!!!!

You go BB#2

PS Sorry about the trouble with BB#1's year at school. Jake had a really bad year in Kindergarten. I remember how it felt for me to watch, so I wish you better luck next year with a new teacher.

Mom of Three said...

Love the pic of BB#2! He is totally coming into his own. Here's to another year in oh..three weeks!

Martha said...

Well, our experience has been really good with the young ones: they've got more enthusiasm, more awareness about the concept of "everyone learns differently" and for the most part, more approachable to constructive feedback. They can be young and still have great instincts...

The problem is that even with great years, if they lost a lot of ground the year before they still aren't where they should be at the end of the year(Thing Two). Huge progress was made...but alas, so did everyone else...heavy sigh...I share your pain as a mom.

PS: good luck trying to scrapbook this year for BB1...talk about hard pictures to look at! YIKES!

Vern said...

Make two lists: one is "Things That Make Me Happy" and the other is "Things That Make Me Feel Like a Rope is Being cinched around my lungs making it difficult to breathe." I bet you would find "being a parent" to be the only item on BOTH lists.

Danae said...

I love it! He is so grown up and VERY handsome!

Brittany said...

Where could he get that bold attitude from?? I have never seen that you (hahahaha). That is a picture for the wedding video one day, so hang on to it!

ganelle said...

Brittany: I have NO idea what you are talking about!