Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Tale of Two Men

I met Diamond in September of 1992 and our first date was that December. We went country dancing and although we weren't very good, we had a fun time and started getting serious pretty quickly after that. I was ready for him to propose by spring of '93, but he wanted to wait. See, there was sorta another man in my life.

I say "sorta" because that other man was in Europe serving a mission for our church. While we had dated seriously my freshman year at BYU, the extent of our contact for the previous year and a half consisted of nothing more than letters. But he was due home that summer. I was ready to move forward with Diamond, but he wanted me to be absolutely sure I was making the right choice. Diamond didn't want me to realize that I really loved the other guy after getting engaged to him.

So Diamond made me wait until the Missionary came home.

In July the Missionary showed up on my doorstep (as Mormon missionaries are prone to do.) Diamond was working that summer in Idaho while I was taking summer classes. There was no Diamond anywhere within 500 miles and my old boyfriend was standing at the door. Looking really cute.

To be honest, I hadn't expected to feel anything for the Missionary. I was so in love with Diamond that it never occurred to me that I would even be capable of feeling anything for him. (Did I mention the really cute part?)

The next night the Missionary was still in town and we were hanging out at my apartment when Diamond called. I talked with him for a bit, but then told him that the Missionary was there and I was being rude. I asked Diamond to call me the next night. When I went back inside, the Missionary proceeded to tell me that he still loved me. Then he tried to kiss me. I freaked out and started crying. It was so much more complicated then I had anticipated.

Later that same night I was lamenting to my friend about the situation. She asked me if I knew if I wanted to marry Diamond or not. Diamond is a good man with a great work ethic. He is kind, devoted and so funny. I knew I wanted to spend the rest of forever with him. Without a doubt. Then she asked "Then what are you doing?" Hmm. Good question.

So I sat the Missionary down and told him that while I was curious about what might happen if we were to get serious again, I knew I was supposed to be with Diamond. Really, what more was there to say?

The next afternoon I called Diamond parents in Idaho. I asked if it would be OK for me to drive up and surprise him. "He's a wreck." Diamond's dad told me. "Get on the next plane. I'll pay for the ticket." I was on my way to the airport an hour later.

Meanwhile, Diamond was trying to call me and I wasn't there to answer my phone. (Remember the days before cell phones?) He was convinced that I was off with the Missionary and would be dumping him before the weekend was over.

So when I walked into his room a few hours later, he was beyond surprised. We both started crying and were looking at diamond rings the next day. We were engaged by August and married the next spring.

(Photo taken right after Diamond proposed - 8/26/93)


Why do I tell this story now? I happened upon the blog of that Missionary just the other day. I've been visiting the site and having tremendous amounts of fun learning about him and his family. He's done really well. He seems to be very successful and appears to be the fun, creative guy I cared about so many years ago.

With all the new information I've been privy to lately, I've been thinking a lot about that pivotal week in my life. I was lucky enough to have two really great guys who wanted to be with me. As I look back, I absolutely and with complete certainty, know that I made the right choice. I love my husband with all of my heart. I love my children. I love my life.

If time travel could bring me back to that week, I wouldn't think twice about getting on that plane again to go see Diamond. I would choose him again and again.

8 comments:

FOX said...

Wow! Amazing Story!!!!!

We think Diamond is great too!!!

tz said...

AHHHHHH --- 1. awesome early 90's hair! I so would have been jealous
2. I love stories like that...I remember in our early marriage, when I questioned EVERYTHING....I would fantasize about the PERFECT husband...and even the fantasy made me sad because it wasn't Jason..hahaha...It was then that I realized that there was no other for me...
3. yay to you and diamond...and to another 50 years being a great couple.

Vern said...

Diamond wins! At least I think so. I don't know. What would HE say?

Mom of Three said...

It's always good to know that you would do it again!

Lorie said...

I love happy endings and what a cool story. I've never met Diamond but I'm know he's one lucky man.

Lorie said...

If only I could spell...

Dodi said...

Your HAIR!!!!! I too would have had hair envy!

I love stories about how people got together. Thanks for sharing!

Garity said...

I've heard that story a few times and I love it everytime I hear it. The first time I heard it is when we had you guys over for dinner and just watching Diamond's face as you told it all was the best part. We sure miss you guys!