Friday, July 16, 2010

The Fab One

I think everyone has their favorite of the Fab Four. (Probably everyone but Vern, who disparages any music created before 1985.)

My favorite was Paul. And last night Paul McCartney and I spent three hours together. (OK, technically, Paul, me and 20,000 other people.)

Diamond was able to land last-minute tickets to his Up and Coming Tour from a guy at work. We started out with these seats, five rows from the very top, which would have provided us with a lovely view of a pole and Paul's backside.

Then, through some crazy twist of fortune we were upgraded from section 352 to section 106; these seats:

We were SO excited!

The thing with Paul McCartney is that his music is transcendent. For every sixty year old bald guy singing there was a twenty-something playing air guitar. His music is bigger than any one age group or decade. He is so much more than a rock star. He is a musician. An icon. I have written papers about his music and the cultural influence of the Beatles.

Paul started with a bunch of his personal songs before settling into the Beatles hits. He sang Hey Jude, Back in the USSR, Paperback Writer, All My Loving, Live or Let Die, Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby, etc. He played the piano, a million different guitars and even a ukulele. He sang with a band, but also had a few numbers with nothing more than him and his guitar. It was an experience of a lifetime. Here is a sample of Let It Be.


It was A.MAZ.ING. I love, love, loved it! I saw Paul McCartney! Live! I heard him sing Beatles Music! I sang along, danced and screamed until I was hoarse. I love you PAUL!!!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!!! Where's his favorite sister's ticket huh??

Julie Ramsay said...

I love Paul too! Ooooo I wish I were there!

Mom of Three said...

It looks like you had a blast!!

Vern said...

I'm glad you had fun. I'm also about to get a migraine from holding back from all the things I really want to say, which I think I should get points for. Remember this day.

The Morey Family from Rochester said...

So jealous! Glad you had a great time!!