Monday, October 13, 2008

Lunch with Virginia

Today I met my friend Virgina for lunch. I used to teach at the high school where she is still working. We chatted about the kids, she updated me on the latest department issues, and we talked politics. It was perfect.

Yet, somehow, I am left feeling melancholy.

I have always been passionate about my teaching. It wasn't what I did, it was who I was. That said, most of the time I can't imagine trying to juggle three kids, a demanding church position and a consuming career. But there are days when I miss it terribly.

I have been "at home" for almost three years now. (Since my first was born, I have worked part-time, on and off.) This is the longest break I have had. The faculty has changed quite a bit in those three years and I just found out today that the principal is retiring. Fewer and fewer people know me there. When I want to come back, will they even remember me? Will I be able to go back at all?

I have every intention of returning to teaching; just as soon as my kids get older, I get released from the Relief Society, and I figure out how to make everyone's schedules synchronized. I'm not ready to go back now, but I do want to go back.

Meeting Virginia for lunch was a treat. It is beyond fun to talk with her. She is intelligent, kind and passionate about what she does. I used to be like that. Now? I just wonder how I am ever going to get back.

7 comments:

FOX said...

You WILL get back! You are a teacher. And a DANG good one! We are fortunate to have a profession that is in high demand, and you are great at what you do.

I know exactly what you are talking about, as far as missing it and wondering about what is out there.

Good luck! Glad you had a good lunch!!

Anonymous said...

Dont' stress. You'll be back to using words like "ubiquitous" in no time.

Garity said...

You've got plenty of great teaching years once Caboose gets into school. I'm looking forward to the same thing...not teaching but going back to work and finishing that masters! I'm enjoying the time I have at home but I'm not going to be fighting the work scene. Problem is Ganelle, after all this time that you and I have not had to deal with a boss, are we going to be able to do it? I don't know about you but I've gotten pretty intolerant of any lip from anyone.

Mom of Three said...

I understand the craving to get back into what you love. It is hard to set this time aside, but just remember all the stress you went through last time. Try to keep connected with those that are there, and if that doesn't work, there is always DougCo!

Lorie said...

I don't know how you do it... it takes a special person to be a great teacher and actually love it. Maybe you could have the best of both worlds and "home school"?! HA!

ganelle said...

Vern: It's like the word "ubiquitous" was ubiguitous in my vocab before. Now I'm back to stumbling for words!

Garity: The thing with teaching is that if you do a good job, you pretty much get left alone. The best of both worlds!

mom of 3: DC is exactly where I may end up. Only, I doubt they would be as flexible as as CC has been for me.

lorie: BITE YOUR TONGUE!!! I'd sooner be working on the potato harvest.

tz said...

I get that way too....Now that I'm back at school moving forward toward a fullfilling career, I feel that way about my life at home with the kiddos...especially now that it's fall and there are so many things I have enjoyed doing in the past with them...

Sometimes it doesn't matter how happy we are about our life decisions...it's hard to not to think about the sacrifices we make...