Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patty's

When I was a kid, St. Patrick's day consisted of nothing more than wearing green in an effort to guard against getting pinched by that annoying kid Robbie.  Growing up in NY, there were a lot of genuinely Irish kids who would show up with their "Kiss Me I'm Irish!" buttons, but that was about it.  Not a big deal, holiday-wise.

For the two oldest, I tried to do just a smidge extra for St. Patty's Day.  So for dinner I'd make all the food green.  This was probably more of a punishment than a reward - who really wants to eat green mac and cheese with a side of green applesauce?  (Certainly not Diamond).  But it was something a little different, and for that the kids seemed happy enough.

But the other day the Caboose came home from school jabbering all about Leprechaun traps and St. Patrick Day treats.  Apparently all the kids at school were making traps and expecting treats.  Curse Pintrest!  The Caboose set up a trap consisting of goldfish crackers and some fake gold coins.  Here's what he woke up St. Patrick's Day morning:

Although it wasn't at all what I experienced growing up, and a whole lot more than the older kids got, seeing my little boy all lit up that morning was spectacular.  Maybe it's because he's my baby, but I am such a sucker for that kid and his twinkling eyes.

I wonder what he's gonna expect come Arbor Day...

No comments: