Saturday, March 16, 2013

Austin

Diamond had a business trip to Austin this spring, and since that was another part of the country I had yet to explore, I tagged along.  (LOVE going on business trips with him!  Other than my airfare the trip is totally free, we get time together checking out new places, but because Diamond has work I get to sleep in and have a little bit of time all to myself - perfection!)
Diamond's business was to attend South by Southwest (SxSW, or South By).  It's a huge conference pulling in tons of celebrities and experts in the fields of music, film and gaming.  Sixth Street (the main bar/club/music part of the city) was hoping with crowds of people, fabulous bands and commercial promoters.  Diamond managed to score me a day pass to the conference where I collected way too much swag and attended a couple lectures.  It was awesome!
As I was wandering around the conference I happened across these two stars from the TV show Glee- a show that I watch regularly despite the fact that it sometimes makes me cringe, but whose music is all over my iPhone.  I also saw a couple actors from the show New Girl.  Cool!
While I was hobnobbing with celebrates, Diamond was hanging out with Captain Crunch.  There was so much promotion of so many different things.  I found it all very entertaining.
As much as we enjoyed the conference, we also wanted to explore Austin.  Here is a view of the river.
We spent one afternoon walking around Austin, checking out UT campus and taking a tour of the Texas state capital.  It was rainy and a bit cool, but I absolutely love exploring new places.  To be honest I was expecting a bunch of obese cowboys, but Austin was full of hip, young musicians.  It reminded me quite a bit of Boulder - very cool.
 You can't very well go to Texas without trying to find a hole-in-the-wall BBQ place and Saltlick fit the bill.  Wow, that place was very, very, um, Texas.  We ate at wooden picnic tables and everyone brought their own beer (like tubs full of ice and beer, coolers full of drinks, etc)  There was plenty of camouflage clothing and an all around laid back atmosphere.  To be honest, I'm wasn't a bit fan of the food - I preferred the TexMex at Chuys - super yum!
 We were only an hour or so away from San Antonio and so we rented a car and went to the Alamo.  There was a ridiculously long line to get into the chapel were the Travis letter was on display.  (As one of the guides was talking about it he was on the verge of tears - apparently Texans take the Alamo VERY seriously!)
 At the long house in the Alamo complex.  I wasn't all that familiar with Texas history, but by the end of the trip it all started to fit together.
At the Alamo


We also went up to the Tower of America while in San Antonio.  Gorgeous views.

 Everyone had told us that in San Antonio, you have to go to the Riverwalk.  They were right, it was fabulous!
 Eating a taco salad with Diamond along the Riverwalk in San Antonio = perfect afternoon.
By the end of the trip, Diamond decided to become a Texan.  Ahh, my cowboy!  Such a great trip!

No comments: