Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Turkey Day

This Thanksgiving Diamond talked me into running the local Turkey Trot.  This was a serious accomplishment for him because running the Turkey Trot involved:
(1) Running-  I don't like to run.  I will run at the gym because it's good exercise, but I'm counting down the minutes as soon as I step on the treadmill.
(2) Waking Up Early-  I can barely tolerate waking up for school.  On a holiday?  I consider it my God given right to sleep in.  The Turkey Trot had us lining up at 7:45.  Whaaa?
(3) It's a 5K-  Although I have been working out on the treadmill regularly, it's more of a run/walk, with the run being only for about a mile and a half - so a 5K was a stretch for me.  I just knew I would look like an idiot when I had to slow to a walk.  (Which I did.  More than once.)  Several children outran me.  Good times.
(4) It was cold.  I don't do cold - especially in the morning.  On a holiday.
 
Overall, it was fine enough.  It was a good workout on a day that I ate A LOT.  But, no, I don't see a future of this kind of thing.  Nice try Diamond.


The good news was that all there was a super delicious meal for me later that day.  The better news was that my mom cooked the majority of it.  And she's a good cook.  Like, a really, really good cook. 
After dinner the kids got the idea to perform a Thanksgiving play.  It was, um, creative - and seriously entertaining.  Totally worth the price of admission. 
This Thanksgiving?  I'm particularly thankful for Diamond's job.  With the conservative party voted in last year, there were cuts being made at the federal level and we weren't sure how that would play out in our lives.  I'm also very thankful for the great year the boys have had.  It seems as if BB#1 has really come into his own this last year - it's been so fabulous to watch that.  BB#2 has been finding success in a lot of different arenas and the Caboose has really taken off in his learning.  It's been a great year and I truly feel blessed beyond measure. 

Happy Thanksgiving all!
 


1 comment:

Maranda said...

I just have to say that I share your EXACT feelings about the turkey trot. Ryan's family talked me into it one year, probably 4 or more years ago. I felt all those things you did, then I thought I was going to throw up at the end. Never again! You're awesome, and I love reading about your family.