Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Memory Lane

As we were driving into Utah Valley at the beginning of our vacation, Big Boy #1 spotted the "Y" (for BYU) on the side of the mountain next to campus. He said he wanted to hike up sometime during our trip. So, on the fourth of July, Diamond and I took the kids up.

Even though our niece and nephew Adrienne and Jake live only 20 minutes away from the Y, they had never been up, so we took them too. And we just made our other nephew Michael come along for fun. He was not a fan of hiking - but he managed to get up to the top.


I had only been up to the Y one other time. My freshmen orientation group went up the week before classes began in August 1990. (See below) I remember breathing hard as I adjusted to the thin mountain air of Utah. Somehow the hike didn't feel any easier this time around. Maybe adding twenty years is about the same handicap as adjusting from sea level?


Diamond had also been up once before, freshmen year on a hike with his girlfriend Julie. (Here is Diamond in 1988.)


No too much has changed; other than that we are now married and have three kids. OK, a LOT has changed.

While we were town, my old college roommate Kristi also happened to be in town visiting family. We were able to meet up and took the kids to a movie at Movies 8 (and talked through the entire thing.) On our way back from the movie, we decided to stop by our old apartment. And why wouldn't we knock on the door and ask the current resident for a tour?


Kristi and I in our shared bedroom in 1993. We made a tape line, dividing our room in half at one point, just to be stupid. (We did stupid a lot back in college.)


And here we are back in the same exact room, seventeen years later.

Back in the old kitchen:


You can see the old kitchen in the background of this picture of all our roommates. Kristi's in front and I'm in back.



Whenever we spend time in our old college town the memories flutter in and out. But this trip hiking the Y and touring our old apartment was crazy fun. It was almost surreal to be back in those places with my kids and husband. SUCH a good time!

1 comment:

Maranda said...

I love this!! I love going down memory lane like that. I look forward to our trips to Provo doing the same thing in years to come. Also, is that niece from your side of the family? Because she looks JUST like YOU!