Friday, July 8, 2011

I Can't Make This Stuff Up

Utah is a fabulous place. There are beautiful mountains and good people everywhere. That said, there are things in Utah that you just can't find ANYWHERE else. Utah County (were I took all these pictures) is the most Mormon part of the state, with close to 90% claiming the faith. Growing up as a Mormon in New York there was nothing like what I saw after spending just one week in Utah. On our latest trip, I took my camera with me for proof. I can't make this stuff up!

The billboards are one of the ways that Utah County shows its color. This one, for "Modbod" is advertising a shop that only sells modest clothing. ('Course I go shopping everytime I come to town - you've never seen such a great selection of cute, modest clothes!)

This is my favorite billboard. DearElder.com which offers same-day delivery service to the Mormon missionaries-in-training housed in Provo's Missionary Training Center (MTC).

At the Utah Valley 4th of July parade there are always the religious themed floats. This one makes reference to the Book of Mormon parable of Lehi's dream - complete with an iron rod trailing behind the float. This wouldn't make ANY kind of sense to anyone who wasn't familiar with the Book of Mormon - but they know their audience!

And what kind of parade would it be without the Mormon missionaries? Yea, they walk in it every year. And they always get a standing ovation. ('Course the Democratic Party is either ignored or booed.)

Even the radio has a unique flavor. We had been listening to one particular radio station which had been playing a mix of pop rock hits. But on Sunday? It was broadcasting instrumental versions of hymns. I swear it. I checked the station three times before I realized that it just plays different music for the Sabbath.

Even the names of the banks and stores reflect the unique Mormon culture.

I think this is my favorite of all. A giant, inflatable missionary (complete with backpack and tie) atop a store called the Missionary Mall. And the slogan below? A two year guarantee on suits - for those two year missions.

In full disclosure there are plenty of bars in Utah. And chain stores. And rap music that plays on the radio every day of the week. Only 62% of the people in Utah are Mormon, but Utah County has its own unique thing going on. And I'm not even mentioning the abundant churches (often two on the same street) or the Religion section in the newspaper, or the towns named after Book of Mormon prophets.

It's fun to make fun of it all, but I do love to visit. Visit.

4 comments:

FOX said...

LOL this cracked me up because it is such the debate here that in between those signs is a "dirty Joe Punster's" adult store. Good thing you were taking pictures out the opposite window!

And I do like the mod stores...

and down East... you are missing out there too.

But I miss all of you more!

tz said...

love LOVE the inflatable missionary...I think you should get one for your back yard

Maranda said...

I've lived here for so long I never really thought about those things standing out so much. When you put it all together in a post like this it makes it sound a little funny. But that's why we love Utah! And I gotta say, when we move to Colorado, I'm REALLY going to miss the "Soft Sunday Sounds" on FM 100.3. I turn that on every Sunday and LOVE it.

Martha said...

I had read your update before we headed out into the country. I stopped at the Costco here in MT, and guess what: the "visiting merchant" for the week was Modbod! Thanks to you I knew what they were selling! :)
And that inflatable missionary? somehow I picture it being involved in a Ganelle v. Vern prank at some point in your future? :)