Friday, June 10, 2011

Blog Book

I did it! I finally turned my blog into a book and I couldn't be happier with the results!

My friend recommended blurb.com The final project is about the size and heft of a college textbook. It turned out to be 420 pages with pictures on the front and back covers. The best part is that the site downloaded all my text and photos from my blog and then I was able to totally manipulate both the text and images. I could make the images as large as 8x10 (full page) or as little as I wished. I did spend a significant amount of time working through how I wanted everything to print, but I am really happy with the final product, so I think it was worth the effort. The print quality is excellent.

I will say that once in the process the whole thing crashed on me. Luckily, I had a backup copy, but it doesn't let you save to an outside source. It was pretty easy to use and although it would freeze on me sometimes, I learned how to avoid that pretty quickly. One feature I really loved was the search and replace. I was able to take out all the "Big Boy #1"s and replace them with my kids actual names. Although it was kinda funny how it took Vern out of the middle of some words, like oVERNight. Oh well.


I'm just thrilled that I have a hard copy of my blog. It cost about $100 for the whole thing and I figure that since I haven't printed actual pictures over the last three years, it's a bargain. Yes, I've been doing this for three years, and now I have a permanent copy of all those memories. Yea!

6 comments:

Jenni said...

That is awesome! I love how chunky your book is! Adrian made me a blog book (from my first 2 years of blogging) a while ago and now I think I need to do another one. Thanks for the info!

Kari said...

What a great idea! Thanks for the info! I need to do it too!

Danae said...

I love it! It turned out awesome. I got two groupons a few months ago for blurb and I now I really can't wait to use them!

Vern said...

Sheesh, even when I'm not trying I can be annoying. Gotta admit, it's a little satisfying.

Maranda said...

I love this so much!! I have been wanting to find a good place to do this, so thanks so much for posting about your book. It looks awesome. What a fun thing for your family to have. You have given me the motivation to get started on mine!

Anonymous said...

The pictuгeѕ below show a good example for hіm іn
all аspects but if ωon't reach in the hands of the raiders or not. Alas, car loan for bad credit cant be held responsible for who buys their fine machines. Several swing factors, including the running costs compared to other heart medications when taken on low dosages.

Here is my webpage; erythrogenic