Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day #8: St. Kitts

We had been to St. Kitts before, and to be honest, it wasn't my favorite island. (I think it had something to do with unwittingly ending up on a very long tour of the island.) I was perfectly willing to just stay on the boat and relax that day. But with a Caribbean beach just a cab ride away, we decided to take a slow morning, and then head to the beach for the afternoon. It turned out to be a very relaxing day.

The Caboose and his cousin at Cockleshell beach in St. Kitts.

My parents left a bit earlier than Diamond and I, and took the older kids up to Brimstone Hill, an old British fortress.


The stunning view from Brimstone Hill:

After they checked out the fort, they meet us at the beach. While there weren't too many fish to see, BB#1 found a pretty cool conch shell while snorkeling.

St. Kitts is home to wild monkeys. Much in the way we have deer crossing the road, we saw monkeys scurrying across the street. There were also several locals that had 'pet' monkeys they would carry around - wearing diapers!

The Caboose LOVED having a chance to hold these monkeys. It's probably the thing he talks about the most from our entire trip.

I will say that I enjoyed St. Kitts much more this time around. Maybe it was my lower expectations, maybe it was a better beach, maybe it was our great cab driver, maybe it was the monkeys...

1 comment:

Maranda said...

I'd say the monkeys! I LOVE monkeys! I should go there so I can hold one! Haha, I'm probably a lot more like your Caboose boy than I should admit.