Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day #1: The Unexpected Tour

Before I even get started on blogging about my trip, let me say that there will be excessive pictures, long-winded commentary and details that are preserved primarily for an audience of five. This trip was amazing, and I really don't want to forget the details. Feel free to skim.

So, after months of counting down to our cruise, the weather forecasted for the day of our flight was 10-16 inches of snow. We were sick at the thought of missing our flight. But lucky us, the airline let us change all 12 tickets and we were able to catch a morning flight, instead of the red-eye we were scheduled on (bonus #1). This change left us spending the night in Washington DC, with enough time to take the older kids on a quick night tour of our nation's capital (bonus #2).

We started at the Lincoln Memorial, probably my favorite of all the monuments. I was able to tell the kids about Lincoln, the Civil War and Martin Luther King Jr. famous speech. There is a palpable power in that memorial, and we all could feel it. Having taught US history for several years, taken a student group to DC, and getting married in that city, I have a real tender spot for our capital. It brought me to tears just being there with my own children.

My mom with my big boys and my niece and nephew:




The kids were overwhelmed with the innate sadness that comes with visiting the Vietnam Memorial. It's such a graphic representation of loss that it was almost too much. I pray and pray and pray that my boys never have to fight in a war.

We weren't able to get too close to the Capital building, but it was fun to quiz my niece on how a bill becomes a law. (Sorry, but I was in full -on history teacher mode.)


The WWII monument was new to me since the last time I had been in DC. It's beautiful, and I loved all the quotes engraved throughout.


I was thrilled with the changes in our flight. When else could my kids have seen the capital for nothing more than the cost of one night's hotel? While we didn't have too long, and could have easily spent several more days, it was great to let the boys have evening at the Mall.

1 comment:

Mom of Three said...

Bonus #3, having a history teacher as a sister! Thanks for taking the kids around. They thought it was amazing and will never forget it.