Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Loveland Adventure

As per my last post, I have been feeling a bit burned out lately. When I get to feeling that way, it seems that there is only one sure-fire remedy: leave town. The good news is that I don't have to go far, and I don't have to go for long, as long as I GO!

Between my grumpiness, Canada's Thanksgiving holiday (love it!) and Fall Break, we decided to take the boys on an "Adventure." Our family Adventures have just three required ingredients: (1) just the five of us (2) a hotel with a pool, and (3) cell phones *off*.


We started our latest Adventure by taking the boys bowling then out for doughnuts.


Next we drove up to Loveland. As with other Adventures, we pick a place and then see what's there.


A big part of any Adventure is that Diamond and I see how long we can go before the boys figure out we are staying at a hotel. Our first Adventure completely shocked them. But on our second getaway, the boys spotted a small suitcase in the back of the Pilot 20 minutes from the house. In an effort to outfox them I stuffed swimsuits under the seats and hid the toiletries in the glove compartment. It paid off - we got all the way inside the hotel before they figured out that we were staying the night (we told the boys were just there to 'ask directions').


We drank lots of hot chocolate, swam a ton, and played some games. There is something amazing that happens when we take these Adventures. It's like being in our own little cocoon.

The math goes something like this:
1 hotel in Loveland + just the 5 of us + cell phones *off* = Recharged batteries

5 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

Looks like a lovely family weekend! I would love one of those!!!

Danae said...

What a perfect family weekend! We may have to steel your secret getaway idea!

Cheryl said...

That's such a great idea!!! Those were some of my best memories growing up. I need to make certain that Tyler reads your blog! Miss you guys!

Krista and Jeff said...

That is just what I need...wish I had an empty weekend...maybe in November! thanks for the reminder!

Vern said...

I love that you keep it a surprise with the boys. They will always remember that.