Thursday, October 8, 2009

Christmas in October

Last Christmas kicked my butt.

I have couple theories about why, but last December, while everyone else was playing Christmas carols, I was listening to a melancholy Paul Simon croon about being "weary to my bones." Normally I love getting out the decorations, but last year it felt like so much like, well, work. Christmas has always been my favorite time of year, but last year I was overwhelmed, exhausted, and just plain sad.

I've never been quite like that before.

So this year I'm trying to pre-empt some of that misery. I've decided to get way ahead of my Christmas duties. I've already finished making my "little" gifts. I've put together my church Christmas lesson, am in the process of organizing my ward's holiday charity drive, and am almost done with my Christmas cards. (Envelopes are even stamped and addressed!) Yeah me!

Only problem? I'm feeling grumpy! I'm moody, worn-out, and listening to Paul Simon again. Did I spread out all that weariness, making it last longer, or did I just move that Christmas stress to October? If December turns out OK then fine, I'd rather feel like this now than at the holidays, but if I've just spread it out??? Kill me now.

7 comments:

Vern said...

Hmmm...kill you? Kill me. Kill you? Kill me. Tough call.

Julie Ramsay said...

I predict you're going to have a wonderful, relaxing, enjoyable November and December...you're just killing october...what are you going to be for halloween? :)

Mom of Three said...

I agree with Julie. I think that your planning will make the rest easier. It does for me every year.

Krista and Jeff said...

Oh Ganelle! I would give you a huge hug or take somethings off your to-do list for you...go switch to some upbeat music and relax...you have the hardest part done now...and by the way, tell Dave to do the rest!

Cheryl said...

Bah humbug...blow those holiday blues away and come join us for Thanksgiving and then all will be happy again. I know you're just missing all of us Smith's :)

Garity said...

Good idea, I'm going to get a head start too, I'd rather have a crappy October than a hectic December. Last year was rough on us as well, I didn't even get our cards out (mostly because I had nothing nice to say after the crap we went through last year) Lets have this year be better (and hopefully we'll be in Denver for Christmas next year! That would be cool!)

FOX said...

HAHAHAHAH-HAHAHAHA!! Oh my... let me whip away my laughing tears!!! Sorry to mock your grumpiness!!! Maybe you could be Scrooge in a play or something, and put your mood to good use!!

OH and I never even send Christmas cards!!! So I can't believe you have addressed envelopes already!!! Go eat some cookies!!! You need to rest!