Saturday, February 7, 2009

Done?

Last night I attended a baby shower for a friend of mine. She already has three boys (sound familiar?) and we've had many conversations about how much fun a house of boys is, but how much we'd both love to enter into a world with a least a smidge of princesses. So when she had the tell-tale ultrasound and found out she is having a girl, I was beyond excited for her. I told her that she was "livin' the dream!"

While I have been "done" for a good while, there was a part of me that thought that if I could be GUARANTEED a bundle of pink, I might just be willing to try one more time. Of course there are no promises in this business and since I soooo couldn't handle a house of FOUR boys, by default, our family was finished.
Last night at the baby shower there were so many darling girly things. Fluffy dresses, red polka-dotted legging and trendy brown and pink outfits. There were hair bows and sparkly shoes and the whole lot. Historically those kinds of events have made me ache. But last night, heh, nothing.

NOTHING! I'm done. Totally done. At this point, even if I knew for sure that I would have a girl, I still feel done. It's so freeing! So liberating!

I think I'm going to go now and sleep through the night.

8 comments:

FOX said...

Ya know... I was told I was having a girl (a couple of ultrasounds) and then I had Jake. Since Brandon is "the master prankster" when we called everyone from the hospital, no one would believe him.

But I do know what the done feelin' is... and if ya' got it...

BTW... You are an "awesome" boy mom!

Cheryl said...

I guess you're not into the birth swapping thing. I'd probably have another girl and maybe you'd have another boy. Noone would know the difference! Besides, our kids look enough alike. I just hope when Heidi's as old as BB#3 that I'm able to say I'm finally done. I worry a lot about being baby hungry.

Garity said...

I'm having so much fun with my boys the thought of having a girl kind of freaks me out so I still go back and forth with this one. 4 boys would be fantastic...but like you said, all the frilly stuff looks like fun. Regardless, I know I'm done after this #4 boy or girl.

Jennifer said...

Baby hunger is insane! There are hundreds of reasons why I need to be done, but the fertiles in the ward keep popping out little babies for me to stare at each week. Makes me looney!

Girls are pretty terrific, but you have a great bunch of little guys!Glad to hear you mastered the hunger!

Dodi said...

Well, sweetie - girls are pretty terrific, and all the pink and fluff is so much fun... but part of me will always be sad I didn't give my husband a little boy, and that I'll never know what it feels like to have a aon smile up at me in that way they have with their mom.

Plus, I'm betting when I'm explaining "monthly visits" and such to my girls that you'll be SO very glad you don't have to have that chat!

Mom of Three said...

It is always a relief to feel that way. You know, you have some nieces that don't mind the pretty pampering of their favorite aunt!

Lorie said...

You may think you are missing out but the question is, WHAT are you missing out on? Periods! Hormone changes! Rolling of eyes! Attitude! It's sooo much worse in girls. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade them for anything but it's a good thing you have reached "that place" where you no longer care.

Jyl Clark said...

That's when you know you're done! I look at babies now and go--Yeah, that's nice.