Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Grandma Green

Last night, my 99 1/2 year old Grandma Green died in her sleep. My first reaction was surprise - I figured there was NO way she would miss out on her 100th birthday, which was sure to be a great party. My grandma loved to be the center of things, surrounded by her family.

(Grandma with BB#1 and BB#2, summer of 2004)


Other than missing the party, I am truly happy for Grandma. It may sound strange, but she has been wanting to die for sometime now. When her friends would pass, she would make comments like "how come she got to die? I'm way older than her!" She was ready to move on.

(Grandma at age 27)

Since I grew up almost exactly two-thousand miles away from my Grandparents, most of my memories center around summer trips out to see the relatives. I remember how cool the slanted roof was in the bedroom Ginger and I used to sleep in. I remember playing Annie-I-Over in her yard and jumping off haystacks in the barn. I remember going to Thanksgiving dinners while I was at BYU. I remember hand washing ALL those dishes since she didn't have a dishwasher.

(Our family with Grandma 2004)

Friday morning I will be flying out to say 'goodbye'. My siblings will also be flying in, as well as a ton of cousins. It's certain to be quite the celebration. Oh Grandma, you would love it!

3 comments:

FOX said...

Ganelle, I am so sorry for your loss. Your post made me tear up, but not because she passed on, but your description of her. I loved my Grandma (and still do :)

and I hope I go in my sleep... what a special blessing for a special lady!

Jennifer said...

She sounds like she was such a beautiful woman and it is wonderful that you were blessed to have her in your family. Condolences on your loss.

Mom of Three said...

She really would love this!