Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Pinewood Pressure

Last year at the Pine Wood Derby, Big Boy #1 had a less than ideal experience. Between a couple of computer glitches that didn't work in his favor and a car that didn't race so well he was in tears the whole way home. Trying to avoid a repeat of last year, Diamond got on line to find some Pinewood tips and with a ton of help from Grandpa Green, Big Boy #1 made "The Patriot Missile"


With Grandma's funeral, BB#1 didn't have a chance to finish his car before we left - and the Derby was going to start at 6:30pm on the day we drove home. We got into Colorado about 4:00pm, headed to Grandpa Green's house at 4:15, finished up a bit before 6:00 and got to the Derby by 6:15.

We weren't going for a win - I just wanted a boy who wouldn't be crying at the end of the night.



Early on I could tell that The Patriot was performing well, but I had no idea how it was ranking until they announced they winner.

HE WON!!!

Thanks Grandpa for all of your help! We couldn't have done it without you!

9 comments:

Lorie said...

Aww, that is exciting. What a fun memory. I love how nice his car looks... you should have seen Austins!

Julie Ramsay said...

Hi Ganelle! Great to see your awesome blog! Awesome that he won! Enjoyed the blog on the funeral....what a huge group of Smiths! Awesome! I'm on facebook and my email is julie@ramsay.ch Keep in touch!!!
Love,
Jul

YouHaveHowMany? said...

Way to go Grandpa! I mean BB#1... :) No seriously, I know he put a lot of work into it... After all, what are families for?!

Jenni said...

Congrats to BB#1!! So glad you guys had a good experience this year! His car looked awesome!

Mom of Three said...

Congrats on the pinewood winning! It is a lot of pressure on these poor little boys. It looks like everything went well in Utah, and you had a lot of fun over spring break. Glad you are home, safe, and victorious!

Garity said...

Yea! Finally catching up on blogs.

Congrats BB#1 on your pinewood derby win! I love your design!

We have strict rules when it comes to building the cars and I've been able to get a seperate set for Kris so he can make his own and leave the boys alone with theirs. LOL.

I'm glad you had such a nice visit in Utah. One of these days we'll get all of our cousins together but there are so many nieces and nephews I haven't even met yet...how sad is that?

Jennifer said...

Congrats on the race! Al had his first race this year and it's amazing how much preparation goes into those little cars!

Vern said...

So if I cried all the way home, what would you do for me?

jenjamin said...

Hi there. Good to see your family. Hope all is well :)