Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cereal

I was in the cereal aisle of Target just the other day and the boys were picking out what they wanted. Of course there are rules to this process, one of which is the amount of sugar in the cereal. My thinking goes something like this: Honey Nut Cheerios = reasonably nutritious. Anything with the same amount of sugar as Honey Nut Cheerios is fine with me. This actually leaves room for some pretty yummy things, like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, or even Honeycomb. I'm not particularly healthy (hello - Chocolate Chip Cookies for Lunch!), but even I have my limits - for the kids anyway.

Now Diamond tends to focus more on price. Anything less than $2.00 a box usually works for him. He tends to come home with Lucky Charms, Frosted Flakes and the like. You can usually tell who did the shopping by looking in the pantry.

So this lady overheard me telling the boys to check the sugar content on their proposed boxes. She came up to me and congratulated me on being such a conscientious mother. Then she started to talk to me about health drinks and supplements, and all sorts of crazy things that I didn't understand.

Thing of it was, that VERY afternoon the Caboose had eaten Lucky Charms for lunch.

Although I did nod politely at this healthy stranger, I was thinking "Um, I think you must have confused me with a completely different kind of mother. So sorry!"

Yet another reason I'm not Mother of the Year. Add it to the list...

5 comments:

Mom of Three said...

At least you try...seeing as Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Lucky Charms are the staple in our home, your doing pretty good.

Garity said...

I have tears coming out of my eyes while reading this! I can just see you with that woman and know that if I was with you I'd have a very difficult time not snorting hysterically with laughter.

Lorie said...

Aaaahh, cold cereal. What a wonderful invention. I always make my kids eat "healthy" cereal first (where sugar as the 2nd ingredient. ie.. rice krispies, kiks, etc) before they get their next bowl where sugar practically comes first. (i.e. Marshmellow Mateys) Nothing like sending them off to school with a sugar high first thing in the morning. POOR TEACHERS.

Randi said...

That's too funny! You're a better mom than I. I dont' even let my kids pick their own cereal!!
They just eat what's in there.

Vern said...

If she had ANY idea....