Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Two Thumbs Up

The Caboose has been sucking his thumb since he was a newborn baby. The pediatrician figured that this habit probably started in the womb.

While my other babies were pacifier addicts, this one opted for his thumb - always there, always accessible. He slept better than his brothers, because he was able to soothe himself. I remember expressing concern to my sister in law, Jill. Wouldn't it ruin his teeth? Her response was "Hey, the kid will need braces either way, right? You might as well enjoy the good sleep." I took her advice, figuring it would all work out well enough.

So the Caboose kept sucking his thumb while clinging to his soft, silky blankie. When the other boys were about two or three years old, we took their Nuks away. It wasn't too much of a problem. One or two bad nights and they were able to move on. (Big Boy #2 gave his Nuk to Santa - who left him a special present for being such a big boy). But one of the problems with sucking a thumb is that you can't exactly take it away. Always there? Always accessible? Yup.

The Caboose kept sucking his thumb, and frankly, I had a hard time really trying to stop it. He just looked so stinkin' sweet with his thumb in his mouth. When he turned five he declared he was finished. That didn't even last an hour. We took away his blankie, but he just found other soft things to rub his fingers on; his brothers' silky althetic shorts, the soft sheets on the bed, he would even play with my hair or rub his fingers over my skin to find something soft. When he swore of his thumb the night before he turned six, I wasn't too optimistic.

But he did it. Once he woke up on his birthday, he didn't suck his thumb all day. He was in high spirits and very proud of himself. However, by nightfall, he was tired and wanted to fall asleep with his thumb in his mouth. The way he has done every single night of his entire life. He was crying and saying "I can't do it! It's too hard!" I tried to console him. I bribed him with a Slurpee if he could make it through the night. I encouraged him to say a little prayer that he would be able to make it.

A little bit later I heard him say "YES! Heavenly Father did it!!!" "Did what?" I asked. "He made it easy to not suck my thumb!" (Love this for sooo many reasons.) He made it through the night and we celebrated with a Slurpee the next day.

He's been doing great ever since. A couple quick slip ups in the morning, but otherwise he has stayed strong. Talk about willpower! He just decided he was done, and BAM! Done!

Then last night he was having another hard night. He was tired and just wanted to suck his thumb. I brought him downstairs and let him lay on the couch to fall asleep. As he finally drifted off I notice his little mouth working away - no thumb, but sucking in his sleep much the way he did was he was a baby and his thumb had fallen out of his mouth. My little baby is growing up. I'm so proud of him, but I will miss the tenderness of my little baby with his thumb in his mouth. Man I love that kid!

6 comments:

Jenni said...

You know what, he totally shared this story in Primary on Sunday - it was so sweet! He said Heavenly Father answered his prayer so he could stop sucking his thumb. Your Caboose is adorable.:)

Lindsey Hicks said...

Well Done! I really am impressed because I was a closet thumb sucker till I was 8. No nasty nail polish for nightgown with a glove sewn on could stop me ha ha.

Cheryl said...

Ahh, that made me get a little teary eyed. It's so hard seeing these cute kids grow up! That is a wonderful example of prayer:) Do you think Heavenly Father could help me give up Diet Dr. Pepper...that's my pacifier!

Alvey family said...

Our lesson on Sunday was on prayer and Brayden shared his personal example of having his prayer answered. I was so impressed of his faith at such a young age and so blown away that in a class of 5 and 6 year olds someone actually had such a personal experience! I love having him in class! He also opted to read his scriptures instead of participating in the coloring activity on Sun. Did turning 6 turn him into a mature spiritual giant? I'm watching out for this little man's future church positions! Pres. Smith is a common name!

Vern said...

I know that baby picture hurts you more than it hurts me, but still. Ouch.

Maranda said...

6 really? I didn't realize your baby is 6! Where does the time go? Way to go buddy.