Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I'm Baaaaaccck!

With my recent release from Relief Society, a lot of my friends have been asking if I am enjoying all the down time. What??? There is no down time. I've been working my butt off trying to get prepped for my new teaching position.

Even though I have taught Introduction to Sociology before, I've never written a syllabus, or taught it in a two days a week format, or used PowerPoint as the main presentation tool. (I was using an overhead projector!) I've been working a lot of very late nights trying to figure out all the new technology and get everything in place in time for my first class.

Go figure I was a bit nervous about everything (OK, maybe more than a bit). After all, it's been five years since I've been in the classroom. Tuesday morning, the day of my first class I woke up to find this:


I faithfully waited until I was at school to read Big Boy #1's note. Here is part of it:

"You love this, act like it's for fun and it will be fun." What great advice! Once all the technology was up and working OK I tried to just settle into it.

I have to say, it didn't take long at all to feel like I had never really left. It felt soooo good to be back in the classroom, back in my skin, back to the thing that I love and that I know.

I'm baaaacck!

6 comments:

FOX said...

I am overwhelmingly excited for you... proud... and think you are great!

You haven't left! Not the way you talk about your love of teaching and history all the time... you have a natural talent to make all of us love what you say!

And BB#1 rocks!!! So sweet!!!

Can't wait to hear more about it!!!

And I am TOTALLY WITH YOU on the PP thing!!! Although I hate confessing that I always used overheads before... because then I have to explain what those are to them... and then when I use the phrase "I just dated myself didn't I?" Then I feel like my grandma! Well especially don't tell them you know what "ditto's are!"

So don't leave us hanging!! Tell us more! What was the first lesson!

Jenni said...

What a sweet note from BB1! And what a crazy time this has been for you! I'm so glad your class is going well!

Kari said...

i love it went kids leave notes for us! That is so cute! Glad to hear that everything went great! I amsure that you are a great teacher!

The Morey Family from Rochester said...

Way to go Ganelle!! That note is so sweet, and spot on. I'm sure the class is going well, and now you don't have to worry about dropping overhead slides. :-)

Nanna said...

You rock - BB#1 rocks too. I'm so proud and happy for you. Who would have figured that we'd have 3 kids as college professors. We are so blessed. You are an awesome teacher and will do fabulously.

Vern said...

How cute is that note?!