Monday, July 13, 2009

Baptism Day

Turning eight is such a special birthday in our family because it is the age when you can be baptized.
When I was a child, about to turn eight, my parents had me take the missionary discussions from the full-time missionaries. I still remember the lessons they taught me. We wanted to do the same for our boys. BB#2 began the discussions a few weeks before his baptism. Elder Mata and Elder Daugherty were fabulous. They taught with an amazing spirit and challenged BB#2 to pray and read and learn for himself the truthfulness of the Gospel. It was a great experience for our entire family.
Diamond and Big Boy #2, right before the baptism:

One of the really cool parts of the baptism was that BB#2 was able to be the very first person baptised in the new church. He had been angling for that since he saw the new building begin to be to built. Everyone made a big deal about it, and he was thrilled! (Kinda nice for the middle child to be the very first at something.)

Here are the men who stood in the confirmation circle as BB#2 received the gift of the Holy Ghost (Elder Mata, Brother Bashaw, Grandpa Green, Diamond, Grandpa Smith, Uncle Tim, Brother Hansen/Primary teacher.) I just love the visual image of a group of men literally encircling my son for the sole purpose of blessing him. That's what the priesthood is about!

Our family:

The Green cousins:


We had only a few minutes after the baptism to get to BB#2's baseball game. Almost all of the family that was in town were able to cheer him on in his game:

BB#2 had quite the cheering section! (Grandpa Green, Grandpa Smith, Grandma Smith)

His two teenage cousins were quite the spirited cheerleaders - singing loudly and screaming "We love you BB#2!!!"
After the game everyone headed to Red Robbin for a late lunch. It was a very special day for our little guy.

12 comments:

Kari said...

Congratulations on the baptism! It's great that for your family!

Mom of Three said...

It was such a great day! Thanks for inviting us to be part of all the fun. Congratulations again BB#2!

Garity said...

I didn't know you could do that with the missionaries! Hmmmm...Braedon turns 8 in October, I may have to look into it.

What a great day for you BB2 and great job on the retelling of it Ganelle!

Hey, on a side note, how come my name doesn't pop up on your blog roll thingy that tells how often I visit? Are you dissing me? hahaha.

Garity said...

forgot to mention that you look great in the family picture! I love that hairstyle on you!

Danae said...

Well, that sounds like a pretty awesome day. By the way I love the first picture of him, so handsome!

ganelle said...

Garity, my thing on the side of my blog tells when people have last updated their blogs, not when they have visited mine. Because you have a private blog, it doesn't show you at all. I've tried, but it doesn't work. That's also why Rebecca's blog shows 8 months or so - that's when she went private.
As for the hair, I'm still not convinced I like it. I'm trying it out. We'll see...

Garity said...

Ok, duh, that makes more sense because (another major duh here...I've got newborn brain after all) that's what the 'ticker' thing on my blog does as well. I swear, what happened to my brain? As for the whole private thing, I'm no longer private because it was too difficult for grandparents as well as parents on both sides to log in every time (wha wha boo hoo) to see pics of the grandbabies and catch up on the nightmare of living in Mexico City. After much complaint I took it off private. I think if you re-add us it will let you know when we update if you are interested.

Anonymous said...

I love how everyone in the family photo is dressed up and looking great while caboose is in plaid shorts with his tounge hanging out his mouth.

I guess that shows who has the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. :)

Congratulations BB#2!! We're so proud of you.

Jenni said...

Congrats to your #2!!! How wonderful! So glad he had a great special day with family surrounding him. Neat!

Jennifer said...

Congrats BB#2! Glad your day was so special!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

What a great day.

FOX said...

What an amazingly perfect day!!!! His own cheering section for baptism AND baseball!! Can there be a better combo for a little boy? WOW!!!

And Ganelle, you are so rockin' that family picture!!! Love the tan!!!

When does BB#1 become a deacon?